Monday, January 16, 2006

 

You Should See Their Faces

I have a bit of a reputation. When I am speaking, I tend to go overtime. I tend to have plenty to say officially. I also tend to say little socially. This is very true in Portugal, because I can only say little. However, I was pleased this past Sunday, when I was able to answer one of the questions in Sunday School in Portuguese. Some of the fellow students looked a little surprised. It was not a hard question, but I usually do not answer because my Portuguese is very limited.

The even bigger surprise happened afterward when I spoke to a couple of people, just giving the standard greeting and asking about the weather. The looks on their faces were amazing. I thought maybe I had just refuted their theory that my mouth had been sown shut or that I still did not even know one bit of the language.

Still later, I was able to talk after the service, and the pastor said that he had heard me singing in Portuguese. I was just reading the words, and only understanding about half of them, but it was true.

Maybe Americans have a reputation for ineptitude at learning languages. Maybe it has been my general quiet appearance. But their surprise reminded me that I have a problem celebrating little victories. My being here in Portugal is a big victory, but my day to day life can seem a little mundane. However, I am getting progress. And little evidences like these are very encouraging to me. Praise the Lord.

Please pray that I would continue to learn and better my Portuguese. Please pray for my class: I am definitely the only Bible believing Christian, and I don't think that there are even any other "types of Christians" in my class. They have given me an opportunity to have a part in their lives, and I want God to get the glory. Please pray for Portugal and the upcoming elections: abortion is a big issue here, as well as other social issues. I don't know enough of the politics to know whom to prefer, but I know that leaders of all countries need prayer and godly influence. Please pray for Mozambique, as the work there continues and several families are working hard to learn tribal languages so that they can present the gospel for the first time.

Comments:

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?